It's been over a year since my last (and first) post about my makeup routine. I thought I would write a new post since I've changed a lot of the products that I am using. My makeup artist Jihan moved from Bobbi Brown to Laura Mercier so at the end of last year I made the switch as well. I used Laura Mercier products many years ago and not sure why I ever switched (oh yes, my Bare Escentuals phase). I'm happy with my new routine and thought I'd share with you.
1. Laura Mercier Hydrating Foundation Primer / This moisturizes the skin and helps the tinted moisturizer go on smoothly. I ran out of it awhile ago and haven't replaced it yet so it is not essential.
2. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 in Sand / I love how effortless it is to apply the tinted moisturizer. It is just like putting on regular moisturizer. If you're looking for major coverage then this is probably not right for you but I like how it smoothes out your complexion while still maintaining a natural look.
3. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC-5 / My makeup artist pointed out that I have redness around my nose (honestly I never paid attention to it before) but when she covered it up with this Secret Camouflage I could see a big difference. I apply it with the LM SC brush to the back of my hand to warm it up and then dab it on the redness and gently blend it in with my ring finger.
4. Laura Mercier Secret Concealer / This is a creamier concealer made especially for the eye area. I blend it in gently with my ring finger.
5. Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder / I place a small dab of this under my eyes. It is supposed to brighten up the area but honestly I'm not sure if I can see a big difference.
6. Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder / I apply a light dusting of this powder all over my face.
7. Laura Mercier Illuminating Powder in Coral Red / This was a color combination that Jihan picked out and I was initially thinking it would not suit my skintone well but now I love it. I place a small touch on the apples of my cheeks.
8. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler / My all-time favorite eyelash curler. I have been using it for years and it is a definite must for my stick straight eyelashes.
9. Pixi Lip Booster in Elf / I bought this at Target earlier this year and fell in love with it. It keeps my lips moist and I love the color.
10. Milani Liquif'Eye Metallic Eye Liner in Black / My friend did a bit of research and found out about this eye liner. She gave me one and I love it. I still haven't conquered my fear of liquid eyeliner so this eyeliner is perfect. It goes on smooth like a pencil but has the staying power of a liquid eyeliner. It is slightly metallic which I love. Note: I was told to apply a thin line along my upper lashline to "open" up the eye. I think it makes a difference.
11. d.j.v. beautenizer Fiberwig LX in Black / I've known about Fiberwig mascara for several years but I finally bought a tube. My eyes have a tendency to not be mascara friendly (read: prone to flaking and smudging) so in the past I've shyed away from applying mascara. But this mascara does not go on like "paint" like regular mascaras rather it coats your lashes with a fiber film. It doesn't really add thickness to your lashes but it definitely lengthens them. And I love that this mascara is easy to remove, just need to rub it off when you are washing your face.
I've been wearing makeup on a regular basis for the past 1.5 years and I have to say it does get easier to apply with practice. This entire makeup routine takes me less then 10 minutes and to be honest it makes me feel better when I take the time to "freshen up" my face in the morning. On a side note I've started writing down the date I purchased a product somewhere on the container. I'm always curious to know how long a particular product lasted (particularly pricier items).
There are many beauty sites out there and I wanted to share a few that I like.
1. Makeup Alley / Reviews of almost every beauty product out there by consumers.
2. The Beauty Department / Beauty inspiration and tutorials.
3. Into The Gloss / Pretty fashion-y makeup blog.
4. Door Sixteen / Anna has the best makeup and beauty related posts. I trust her opinion because I know she is a detailed person who does her research! (And I am lazy when it comes to the beauty department and will only try something if it is recommended to me.)
If you have any makeup advice or product recommendations please do share!