PHOTOGRAPHS BY SALLY J SHIM
One of my favorite things to make every holiday season is our Advent Calendar. Although I like some of the ones I made in the past , I always feel compelled to make a new one each year. There are so many amazing homemade Advent Calendars out there. I wanted to keep it simple and consistent with our black, white, and metallic color palette for holiday decorations. All of the supplies, except for the particle board, I had in my stash.
1. Particle board (or plywood) - 24"x36"
4. Glassine envelopes - 2"x3"
6. White cardstock
7. Circle paper punch - 1.25"
8. Masking tape
9. Paper cutter or scissors
1. Print out numbers 1-24 on to white sticker paper. (I used Helvetica.)
2. Punch out all the numbers using a 1.25" circle paper punch.
3. Cut off the flap of the glassine envelopes.
4. Place number stickers on to front of the glassine envelope.
5. Cut white cardstock in to 24 2"x3" cards (you may have to make them slightly smaller in order for them to easily slide into and out of the glassine envelope).
6. Write advent calendar activities on one side of mini card. (You can also print activities on to a 8.5"x11" piece of cardstock and then cut them down to size.) Slide advent calendar activity cards into envelopes.
7. Cut 4 28" pieces of black cotton twill.
8. Using masking tape, adhere ends of twill to back side of particle board, making them an even distance apart.
9. Use mini clothespins to clip on numbered envelopes on to twill tape.
10. Enjoy your new advent calendar!